"The Yard is the cornerstone of our summer plans and we know that the intern pouring our wine or waving us into a parking spot is an artist to watch."
- Yard Member
application available november 1st
Summer 2018 Dates: Monday, May 14, 2018 - Sunday, September 9, 2018
The Yard, a non-profit contemporary artist residency and dance performance center on Martha's Vineyard, in Chilmark, MA, is looking for summer interns for our 2018 Performance Season. The internship focuses both on the administrative facets of an art non-profit as well as an opportunity for skilled dancers and artists to partake in performance and choreographic experiences. The successful candidate should expect to be involved in all aspects of arts management with focus on their individual areas of interest/expertise throughout the summer season.
NOW SEEKING APPLICANTS FOR:
- Working with an experienced team of art enthusiasts who care deeply about producing quality work
- Learning the ins and outs of arts management in a hands-on setting
- Experiencing all performances at The Yard, artist Q&A’s, community dance classes, and more
- Receiving professional advancement training and recommendations for future career paths
- Multiple professional performance and choreographic opportunities throughout the summer season
Gain a broad perspective on the performing arts field
- $1,250 Stipend, and up to $200 travel reimbursement
- Beach passes to famed Martha’s Vineyard beaches
- Live in a community of artists in shared on campus housing with laundry and full kitchen facilities
- Monday-Friday dance technique classes
- Monday-Sunday Yoga classes
- Farm shares from local farms
- One day off a week
- Mentorship from Executive/Artistic Directors, Senior Staff, and Resident Artists
At the heart of The Yard’s summer internship program is a major focus on Artist Services. While The Yard seeks interns with individual specialties (see below positions and job descriptions), each participating intern is expected to assist the Senior Staff in the day-to-day management of a single theater venue with 3 weekly on-site performances, 2-3 off-site performances, and 5-10 community events throughout the summer. Interns are required to participate every day throughout the season in many different areas of Artists Services work with rotating leadership roles each week.
With this in mind, The Yard is looking for candidates who possess:
- Excellent and personable communication and customer service skills
- Creativity and close attention to detail
- A positive attitude in the face of constant multi-tasking, long hours, and some physical labor
- The confidence to work independently or with peers on important projects
- And most importantly, a strong respect for the arts–specifically the performing arts
At The Yard you'll work hard and play hard in one of the most beautiful places to spend a summer!
All applications due to KimberlyMurry@dancetheyard.org by Feb. 15 (along with Google Form)
Applications are reviewed in the order that they are received.