The Summer 2019 internship application is now closed.
Please check back in November 2019 for the 2020 application!
Summer 2019 Dates: Monday, May 20, 2019 - Saturday, September 7, 2019
The Yard, a non-profit contemporary artist residency and performing arts center on Martha's Vineyard, in Chilmark, MA, is looking for six summer interns for our 2019 YARD ARTS Summer Season. Each intern position is focused in a specific area of The Yard’s work: arts administration, media, and technical production. All interns have artistic opportunities, as well as involvement in our community engagement and education programs. The interns play an integral role in the YARD ARTS Summer Season, assisting with many facets of daily operations.
NOW SEEKING APPLICANTS FOR:
2 ARTS ADMINISTRATION INTERNS: 1 Artist Services and 1 Development
2 MEDIA INTERNS: 1 Digital Marketing and 1 Video Production
2 TECHNICAL PRODUCTION INTERNS
A Day In The Life of a Yard Intern…
• Rise with the sun for yoga (optional)
• Join dancers of all ages and levels for Community Class
• Meet with your staff mentor to work within your department. Depending on the position, the intern could be doing activities like editing videos, coordinating travel for artists, working on marketing campaigns, writing grant reports, or working on tech for an upcoming show
• Poster the island for next weekend’s performance
• Pick up a van-full of artists at the ferry
• Participate in an artist orientation meeting
• Join your fellow interns in the studio for creative project time
• Sweep and mop our performance barn for tomorrow’s activities.
Other Days Will Include…
• Dress rehearsals
• Off-site community programs
• Set-up and break-down of the theater
• Working and watching performances
• Answering the office phones
• Assisting patrons
• Running errands
• The occasional dance party
• …and then on Sundays we go to the beach!
Internship benefits include:
Working with an experienced team of art enthusiasts who care deeply about producing quality work
Interacting and sharing a campus with over 150 rotating professional artists
Getting to know the beautiful island of Martha’s Vineyard and its vibrant community
Learn the ins and outs of a summer artist residency and performance festival
Receiving mentorship and mastering skills within a specific area: arts administration, media, or technical production
Taking daily dance and yoga classes
Making creative work and participating in performance opportunities
Living with fellow interns and a staff member on The Yard’s campus in a furnished house that comes stocked with kitchenware, paper goods, laundry and cleaning supplies, etc.
$1,250 Stipend, $100 food stipend to start the summer, local farm share, food staples (rice, beans, pasta, quinoa, etc)
Roundtrip Travel to and from the island (at the beginning and end of the summer)
A beach pass to the famed Lucy Vincent, a 15-minute walk from The Yard
The Yard is seeking creatively-minded, artistically-driven candidates who possess:
Communication and customer service skills
Organizational and time-management skills
A positive attitude in the face of constant multi-tasking, long hours, and some physical labor
The confidence to work independently and as a team player
Curiosity and open mindedness
The ability to live well with others in a rustic environment
Candidates must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid driver's license. Unfortunately, at this time, The Yard cannot accommodate international interns unless the applicant has a student or work visa secured through their embassy.
At The Yard, you'll work hard and play hard in one of the most magical places to spend a summer!
Priority deadline: Monday, January 7, 2019
Final deadline: Monday, February 4, 2019
Before submitting your online application, you must register for one of the following webinars by emailing email@example.com or click on the button below no later than 24 hours in advance of the scheduled time:
Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 10am EST
Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2pm EST
Friday, January 4, 2019 at 11am EST
Thursday, January 31st, 2019 at 4pm EST
Saturday, February 2nd from 12-1pm EST